Online Learning Begins Monday Dec 14th
The reason for the pivot is that our positive cases are well over 20, we have over 150 students in quarantine, and the transmission rate in Sandy is almost to 30%. As last time, students will still be expected to attend their classes synchronously each day. We have outlined some important information for this online pivot:
- Students who normally attend in-person classes will attend all classes synchronously online. The schedule is as follows:
- Mondays and Wednesdays:
- 1st period: 7:45-8:15 a.m.
- 2nd period: 9:15-9:45 a.m.
- 3rd period: 11:30-12:00 p.m.
- 4th period: 1:00-1:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays:
- 5th period: 7:45-8:15 a.m.
- 6th period: 9:15-9:45 a.m.
- 7th period: 11:30-12:00 p.m.
- 8th period: 1:00-1:30 p.m.
- Students will be expected to attend for the first 30 minutes of class to earn credit for participation. If they cannot attend, teachers will record their Zoom meeting or Googlemeet. Students are expected to put in an additional 30 minutes of work time beyond this meeting time. Some teachers may choose to stay on the Googlemeet or Zoom to help students with the assignment. We encourage students to do this, as we have seen higher assignment completion rates.
- If the student cannot attend, they will be expected to watch the uploaded recording and complete the assignment. This assignment may be different from the one completed during the Zoom meeting, but it will cover the same content. Parents will need to call and excuse these absences if the student does not attend the synchronous session live.
- Teachers will have the Zoom or Googlemeet link on their Canvas home page so that students can easily access it. Students must follow the norms for online learning: dressed for school, cameras on, appropriate language and interactions on the Zoom with both teacher and other students, fully engaged in the lesson.
- Here are the instructions for logging into live instruction: https://youtu.be/h0J5_1NtbjI/
- Teachers will either use Zoom or Googlemeet for their virtual learning and the links will be on the Canvas Home Page.
- If a teacher is sick, they will leave a note on their Canvas home page. They will then upload their lesson materials to Canvas, and the student will do this instead of the synchronous learning with their teacher.
- Mondays and Wednesdays:
- Students who need special academic assistance can make arrangements with their teachers to come into the school and receive help. If students need to pick up materials from their art teachers or CTE teachers or music teachers, they may do so on Monday. Teachers will be in touch with students as to when these pick-ups can occur. They must happen in a curbside situation so that we are not having students enter the building and congregating.
- Friday learning will be as it always has been with virtual office hours and students completing their learning remotely.
- Online students will continue their instruction as they have been doing.
- Teachers will be available for virtual office hours on Mondays and Thursdays from 7:05-7:35 a.m. and on Monday through Thursday from 2:30-3:00 p.m.
- To prepare students for this online learning, we have prepared a video for students that their 1st-period teacher will direct them to watch first thing on Monday morning. If your student does not have a 1st-period class or they miss the video, it will be loaded into the student’s “Heartbeet course” on Canvas, and it will be entitled “What to Expect from Online Learning.” We have also included a link to the video here if you would like to preview it so that you know what will be expected: https://youtu.be/czRWsiMzorU.
- Grades in Canvas and Skyward do not always match because the systems do not talk to each other in realtime. Students will turn in assignments on Canvas. Teachers will grade and provide feedback in Canvas. On Fridays, teachers will then sync the scores from Canvas back to Skyward. By 5:00 p.m. on Friday afternoons, grades in Canvas and Skyward should match so that you can see missing assignments. Anything showing up as a “zero” in Skyward indicates that your student has not completed it and needs to do so. In Canvas, you will be able to see if your student has submitted the assignment and whether or not it has been graded. Therefore, Canvas is more accurate, but we understand that you are used to using Skyward to check on student’s attendance and grades, which you can still do on Fridays.
- If you do not have access to reliable internet, please contact the school at 801-826-6210 and ask for your student’s assistant principal. They will assist you in getting Comcast or a hotspot so that your student can have the tools necessary to be successful. All students at Jordan High do have a Chromebook and can access their online curriculum. If there are issues with connecting or Canvas problems, please contact the Help Desk at the district: 801-826-5544 between 8 and 3, Monday through Friday. Most of our teachers, while they know how to use the software, are not able to help students with connectivity or Wi-Fi issues.
Athletics and Extracurricular Activities:
- No athletic practices or extracurricular activities can occur during the school day. All practices must end by 7:30 a.m. and may not begin prior to 2:30 p.m.
- Covid testing of athletes will continue when athletes come in for practice. Coaches will contact athletes as to when their testing will take place.
- All regularly scheduled games and performances will move forward.
- Updated quarantine guidelines were sent out yesterday regarding guidelines for athletes who test negative.
Social and Emotional Supports:
- We know that the holidays can be a difficult time for many families. Our counselors and social workers are preparing a schedule of social and emotional supports for our students that they can access even though we are in a remote learning situation.
- Food Pantry and Clothing Closet will be available next week for families. Families should contact their Vice Principal to schedule an appointment. We have lots of resources for our families who need them.
Personal Items, Lockers, etc.
- If your student needs to obtain items from their locker or from a PE locker, please have them come into the school before Thursday, December 17th to do so. The office staff will be available from 7 a.m. until 3 p.m. Students should check-in at the office and we can help them get their items from their lockers.
- Students enrolled at CTEC or in classes at JATC or other high schools will attend those classes in-person. These schools have not shifted to online as of yet. We will still have a CTEC bus that will pick up students here at Jordan and return them from CTEC to Jordan at the end of the day.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have any questions, please know that we are here to help.
Wendy Dau, Roberto Jimenez, Dina Kohler, Jana Crist, and Mary Simao