Jordan High School
School Community Council Meeting Wednesday, February 8, 2023
6:00 PM JHS Centennial Room
Dr. Bruce Eschler – present
Jason Long – present
James Barron – present
Bryn Cook – present
Jen Coccimiglio – present
Beki Cowdell – present
Terri Culberson – present
Daniel Herzog – present
Heather Isbell – present
Brandie Kafentzis – present
Kimberlee Montoya – present
Special Guest – Canyons School Board Member Andrew Edtl – present
Trudy Barnes – excused Amy Bryant – excused
Jennifer Hilton – excused but showed up for end of meeting Jessica Stowe – excused
Patrick Doyle – excused Wendell Ashby – excused
Aimee Wagner – excused
1. Welcome Rebekah Cowdell
2. Review and Approval of January Meeting Minutes Rebekah Cowdell
● Motion to approve by DH, seconded by HI.
○ Approved unanimously
3. Review/Updates Dr. Eschler
● Everything still looks on course, reminder that most of budget goes to staff
● DH asks – do we project any inflation for next year? Possibly, we will discuss when we get to next year’s TSSP plan.
b. Data Review
● Data has been submitted
c. Land Trust Plan
● Draft Plan included in handout. Approved by BLT
○ Math Lab for Secondary I for all students has been taken out.
○ Reminder that SCC has final say on approval after input from BLT, admin, stakeholders.
○ Looking to hire instructional aides in lieu of co-taught classes due to getting more for our money. (3) 28 hour aides could target up to 24 class periods
instead of only 4 periods of a licensed teacher.
■ Concern is finding the right people.
● What would be a backup plan if we could not find the right candidates?
● We could plug in licensed teachers part-way through year.
● Another would be if the district does not provide .5 FTE of a counselor, we could still keep our “extra” counselor with an amendment.
● Admin would target aides by recruiting current education students at local universities etc.
■ Question: where would this 51k come from compared to last year?
● Some would come from reduction of Math Lab / Other FTE
■ Question: how is enrollment looking for next year?
● Similar to last year, but we are hopeful Digger Fair (which was a huge success this year) will help enrollment rise or at least not fall as much.
■ Question: what is a scholarship aide?
● They work as a graduation aide and scholarship aide.
○ Discussion about various arrangements between what the district pays for and what TSSP money will pay for.
○ JC motions to approve the 2023-2024 Draft Budget of TSSP/Land Trust Plan as written.
■ KM seconds the motion
■ Passes unanimously
d. TSSP (Teacher Student Success Plan)
4. Counseling Center Updates Counselor Kimberlee Montoy
○ Senior Bulletin
○ Registration has begun
■ Registration cards are due this week during Math class
○ Crisis counseling due to the recent death of one our student is available
5. Other Items
● We Are Jordan Video!
○ https://drive.google.com/ﬁle/d/1iLqQ0j9zOo5ydlCXQNc5QsL SUwEDm0/view?usp=share_link
● Input on upcoming Parent Teacher Conferences:
○ We currently plan on doing one day virtual and one day in person
○ Appointments for in person too?
■ Consensus seems to be that no appointments for in person but scheduled for virtual.
○ In person – should we continue to do them in the classrooms or the gym?
■ In the classrooms!
○ We can still accommodate the needs of parents’ schedules as needed.
○ Thought is to go with the following plan:
■ In-person day on the day that overlaps with Middle School
■ Virtual day on the day that overlaps with the Elementary
■ Feedback is the reverse of our plan because fewer conflicts with families have High School aged and elementary-aged students in their families at the
■ Ask Mr. Kemp to reach out to middle schools for their plans.
● Virtual Day – Mar 6 2023 Announcement
● Graduation – May 25, – 2:00 PM @ Maverick Center
● ACT Prep Class Update from Brandie Kafentzis
○ All Juniors have access to the Canvas Course and the instruction is recorded for students to access.
● Discussion, Q+A with Board Member Andrew Edtl
○ Facility concerns – Andrew will look at minutes from Jan 4 SCC meeting
■ Secure vestibule is a huge priority
○ Concerns of boundary students going to other high schools
○ Huge shout out to Andrew Edtl for attending our meeting!
● HI motions to adjourn the meeting
○ TC seconds
○ Motion passes unanimously
Next Meeting: March 8, 2023